Saturday, March 17, 2012

Courage

As some of you may or may not already know, I have been doing this half-term's assembly on my own after Erin made the difficult decision to return home early. While I miss having her in the office and up on stage with me, I know that things happen for a reason and, as cliche as it sounds, the show must go on. This half-term began with a few intense days of rehearsals with Sam having me run the same drama over and over again. When I finally got the drama sorted, then we spent a whole afternoon on memorizing my links. All the hard work has seemed to pay off as I've already done 17 assemblies on my own. Only 3 more to go!

This assembly begins with me telling the kids that Erin has gone home and that I am doing assemblies on my own. I review the three previous themes, Potential, Attitude, and Unity, and then say that if I was a true champion maybe I could do things on my own, but that we should watch "today's video" and see if it helps me out. The theme, same as the title of this post, is Courage, which worked out perfectly considering the circumstances. After the video, I discuss the theme and link into the drama, where I play the role of a shepherd lad looking for his one lost sheep. After the drama, I review the lyrics and actions to a song we sang last assembly, have the children sing the song, and then I close with a few short sentences about perseverance and having the courage to overcome difficult challenges. While doing this the first time was rather intimidating, I find that the pressure of performing helps me to stay in the present.

This half-term, especially the past two weeks, have also brought on the added challenge of working in the office alone as my supervisor took a much-needed two week holiday. Although I may have been overwhelmed by the prospect of performing alone and being the only person in the Act 4 Office, I thank God for the confidence and courage He has given me in overcoming any difficulties. I am thankful to have survived on my own and will be that much more thankful when my supervisor returns and we find another volunteer to do assemblies with me. As they say, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

No comments:

Post a Comment