Friday, September 9, 2011

A Lesson in Humility

Psalms 149:4
For the LORD takes delight in his people; he crowns the humble with salvation.

While I would hardly consider myself a world traveler, I have to say that I have been a few places and have experienced various cultures. Throughout those travels, however, I knew that I was the fortunate one, where my one American dollar was worth three Peruvian Nuevo Sols or twenty Honduran Lempiras. For once in my life, my precious dollar is worth less than the currency and I have to seriously consider where and how I spend my money.

As part of my year in Young Adults in Global Mission, I agreed to "live simply", something I thought was going to be hard living in the United Kingdom. Little did I know that due to the exchange rate, I would have no other choice than to live simply. Each week, I receive a modest stipend to spend on food, an amount not to be squandered but to be used wisely. Without even knowing it, I have been taught a lesson in humility, in simple living.

As an independent person, I have also struggled to remain humble throughout this transition period. From home to home and meal to meal, Erin and I have constantly been cared for, receiving from others but unable to return the favor. While I may not be able to repay those who have been so kind, I know that I can give in other ways through my work at Act 4 and within the community. I have become quite good at asking how I can help and doing the dishes after meals, any small gesture that will help me feel as if I've earned my meal.

 I came to England thinking I would be able to be in charge, take care of myself, and make a difference. Yet, these past few weeks have been an intense lesson in humility. I can only imagine how much more I have to learn and hope that everything I do in these next few months will help me truly understand what it means to be humble.

No comments:

Post a Comment